Wednesday, March 5, 2014

a pause

I stopped posting to my blog after the 2010 trip for two reasons:   spam messages were coming in almost daily with anonymous comments that appeared to be in Asian characters that I couldn't read.  Also, the recession had dried up project funding,  with a result of no trips in 2011. Feeling like a benched player who had so much to offer, I started networking and found other NGO's willing to put me back on the playing field. 

It is March 2014 and suddenly the spams have largely stopped and constructive comments are coming in, so I decided to catch up by reporting on  three trips each in 2012 &  2013 from oldest to newest.   It may take a  a few months to get to trip14.   As of 3/17/14 all but two trips have been posted.   It never occurred to me when I got involved in WASH Education that I would feel so called to so many volunteer trips. My hope is to do this for another ten years, so this could turn into a very lengthy blog. 

For the last few years, I have been speaking to classes in the Denver Public School system about the WASH crisis.   The talk usually starts with a very short video clip showing a toddler dipping a water bottle into a sewer and drinking it as he stares intently into the camera.  After pointing out that the water isn't just muddy,  I have their attention!  




No comments: